Sunday, March 18, 2012

the things I love

Fresh fruit.  All the time.  Pineapple, apples, strawberries, mango, papaya, pomelo, watermelon, oranges, bananas, mangosteen, guava...

The fruit lady, who always smiles, and who works way too hard for the living that she makes.  I hope that my very limited, non-verbal, daily interactions with her somehow bring light and cheer into her life.  Because she certainly makes my day every time I stop at her stand.

CHAA YEN.  Literally translated "tea cold."  Thai milk tea.  Orange.  Super sweet.  Super cheap.  Super delicious.  It has been my sustenance these many months, and I fully intend to replicate it in the States.

Butt sprayers in bathrooms... Yes, I know.  It sounds really weird.  And it took me quite awhile to come around to them myself.  But alas, I have come to deeply appreciate the convenience and freshness of a quick spray.  And, they double as the perfect weapon to fend off ants and spiders that may invade the bathroom.

Never having to guess what the weather will be like.  Hot.  Humid.  Possibility of showers in the afternoon or evening (...especially if we are having a Grapevine event).

Song thaew.  Literally translated "two rows."  It is a form of public transportation in Thailand-- a pick up truck with two rows of seating in the back, covered by a topper.  I love to drive/ride in vehicles with the windows down, and this is about as open-air as it gets.  It is so non-Amercian... I feel like I am on an adventure every time I ride one.

Cheap earrings.

Freedom from social expectation.  In Thailand, I can be whoever I want to be, dress however I want to dress, look and act however I want to look and act... and no one will think it is weird!  Because I am a farang, translated "foreigner," people already expect me to be different, and do not judge me for when I do actually behave differently.  This means I can dance and sing to Colors of the Wind in front of a large group of people without being embarrassed.  I can go running with my shirt tucked in and not feel like a nerd for doing so.  I can stop to take pictures anywhere I want (within reason), and people will just assume I am a tourist.  It is very freeing to not be bothered at all by what other people are going to think of me in social situations.

Thai massages.  Very cheap.  Very wonderful.

Being amused by everything.  I don't really know how to explain why, but everything cracks me up... everything from observing the relationship dynamic between our generous landlord and his crazy wife, to the dogs and cats and birds and lizards that live around our apartment building, to the fact that every building has a bajillion unnecessary security guards, to Thai music bumping in the taxi cabs, to the ridiculous cartoon charms that people wear on their belts, to the highly specialized shops that sell just pillows or just pens and pencils or just reed diffusers...  the list could go on and on.  I laugh to myself A LOT.

Living in such close proximity to my workplace.  Morning commute = walk downstairs.

My church.  Evangelical Church of Bangkok.  It is such a Spirit-filled, Truth-teaching, globally-minded place of worship.  I have been filled by fellowship with the congregation and the friends I have found there.

Yi sip haa baht.  Literally, "twenty five baht."  The name by which we fondly refer to the Thai food restaurant in our building-- actually named Aunt Boon's Restaurant, or something like that.  Just about every dish you can order is 25 baht (or at least it used to be until after the flood when they newly renovated the dining space, and prices increased to 30 baht).  That is about a dollar a plate for the best Thai food in Thailand.  We are blessed.

How just about every Grapevine event turns into either A) Disney karaoke, or B) a dance party.

And so much more....  Be expecting further installments as I get closer and closer to leaving...

No comments:

Post a Comment